Bismarck-Mandan consistently ranks at or near the top of quality of life measurements such as safety, healthcare, education, recreation, and environment. For example, Bismarck's total crime rate per 100,000 inhabitants is 2,300.1 in 2008. Bismarck was designated an All-American City in 1997, and the Bismarck MSA has been named a "Five Star Community" by Expansion Management magazine multiple times.
People thrive best where they feel safe and connected, where they are supported and enriched. Quality schools, excellent medical care, ample recreation possibilities, community involvement, and neighborhood support continue to make Bismarck-Mandan very hospitable.
- Bismarck MSA violent crime rate per 100,000 inhabitants is 206.6. This compares to a national rate of 429.9. (Federal Bureau of Investigation, report year 2009)
- The state of North Dakota regularly ranks as one of “America’s Safest States.”
- Bismarck ranks #2 in a national survey conducted by a Harvard University professor to measure community attitudes and relative levels of civic engagement. Among the findings is that social trust among residents inclines them to rate their community as an excellent place to live.
- Two regional medical centers, Medcenter One Health Systems and St. Alexius Medical Center, as well as a wide array of clinics are located in Bismarck. In addition, Triumph Hospital Central Dakotas in Mandan offers long-term acute care, and an array of options are available for assisted living and long-term nursing care in the greater community. The hospitals and clinics are state-of-the-art, with 575+ beds available, over 350 physicians, and more than 7,000 total healthcare professionals to serve you. At the Bismarck Cancer Center, St. Alexius and Medcenter One combine to form a team of highly skilled healthcare professionals with cutting-edge equipment.
- Medcenter One Health Systems is an integrated health system that consists of a 232-bed hospital, a multi-specialty clinic, a college of nursing, six primary care clinics, three kidney dialysis centers and four long-term care facilities in western and central North Dakota. Medcenter One has been recognized by Thomson Reuters as one of the 100 Top Hospitals for Cardiovascular Care.
- St. Alexius Medical Center is a 306-bed, full-service, acute care medical center offering a full line of inpatient and outpatient medical services, including primary and specialty physician clinics, home health and hospice services, durable medical equipment services and a fitness and human performance center. St. Alexius has been awarded HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence and for Excellence in Patient Safety.
Access to government and citizen involvement
- Bismarck-Mandan, and North Dakota as a whole, have accessible, informal, hands-on elected and appointed officials. Our state and local government leaders recognize the importance of business growth and sound economic development, and that creates a positive attitude toward business among our leadership.